Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dreamtime Dreamscape: Science and Driving

Last night I had a dream about a famous scientist  For some reason I had to ask him something very personal. Before I could, I had to make sure he would listen to me. In order to do this, I had to come up with some reason for him to take time out of his busy science filled schedule to listen to me in the first place.

I knew that something happened to his daughter in traffic when she had been a young child. My dream kept flipping back and forth here from a formal dinner scene where I was overhearing a conversation about the scientist where I heard the story about the tragic accident during rush hour traffic, and a later conversation in an online hangout where friends were discussing a new technology about self driving cars.

I decided that self driving cars were my ticket to talk to this scientist. I had to find a way.

I researched and found that Google was working on a prototype car that would drive itself through rush hour traffic and was running endless simulations. Somehow I found out that through a program I had, I could use my e-mail address to actually watch the simulations.

They were fascinating to watch. I called the scientist up, I had to show him and I knew he would talk to me about whatever the personal question was once I showed him the simulations they were running.

I called him. Somehow I got through. I told him to use the e-mail address he had that was like mine, and he started watching the simulations. He was as excited as I was about them. We started talking like old friends without much preamble. We wondered together how the program would take into account people that didn't have the automatic driving, and watched as they stuck some old drivers into the equations. Blue drivers were normal humans and red cars were automatic cars. Round and around they went. Dream time sped up, and we watched them do real time simulations on race tracks with real cars outfitted with the real computers that made the cars run without humans driving them.

In my dream, I was imagining what I could do if I didn't have to drive to work. What could I get done if I didn't have to spend so much time commuting  Somehow in my dreams I forgot that I work from home. I also forgot that I started the dream wanting to ask the scientist a personal question. I woke up soon after.

It was a rather science filled dream, taking me back to my college years. A little strange in that regard, I haven't had a dream that focused on science in a long time. It was very analytical  All throughout the simulation period of the dream I was imagining different scenarios for the programs to run and watching them percolate through the dream program.

No comments:

Post a Comment